Thursday 26 March 2015

Sick?? But you're a MOM!



                   


Only after you become a Mom, the endless list of truth about Motherhood slowly unfurls! No, you can't circumvent them, either you get to know them sooner or later, don't worry, you dont have to chase them, you'll be robustly hit by them! The latest truth that unravelled before me: Moms can't get sick!


You probably know this if you're a mom, er...if you don't, you'll know it very soon! And if you are the spouse to the mom, then you secretly know it!


How does a day look like when a stay-at-home or working mom falls sick? Its the usual business day, with the kids to look after, the same mess to clean (messier than the usual days) and the routine to be followed because that is survival. When the baby falls sick, I can go to any extent to bring her back to toes. When the husband falls sick, I can give my best to make him feel better too. But when I wake up with a sore throat just to be reminded that am catching that flu which the baby brought from school last week, I shove it behind my head saying, "I'm fine, there's nothing wrong, I'm not sick!". But ultimately,  when things get worse, I have to admit that I'm sick.


                                


Other days, I would happily barge into the bed with a book and soup and spend some time under the blanket and sleep sleep and sleep until the last virus evacuates my body! But that cannot happen when you're THE MOM. You need to repeat everything like any other day, infact much more than the normal days, "Don't jump", "Be Careful", "Finish your milk", "Don't scream", "Sleep", "Don't do this", "Will you please listen to amma atleast today?" and the tolerance (usually very low during such days) is scrutinized. The cheerful, naughty little one hardly understands that its the mom who is crankier than her.


Moms, of course, are good at melting away with the slightest love from the child. The moment the kid brings a picture book and sits next to you to read it for her, the heart melts and you've almost forgotten that you need rest! Nature works that way.

Am lucky that my husband pitches in when I have a bad health. It is only the time till he returns from work, that drives me crazy, making me pray with all devotion to give me the patience to drag the day 'cause it never feels good to lose temper with a toddler.


Things I learnt:

  • If you feel sick, call for help! Husband, grandparents, uncles, aunts, friends, whoever! Don't neglect it as a non-emergency. You may not be bleeding to death, but, even a bad flu will not help you think straight. You're handling kids, the most delicate of all the things in the world.
  • If you know anybody who's sick, please drop by with 1-2 meals, soup and medicines and take the kids. She'll be grateful to you all her life.
  • And mommies getting help today, don't forget to make a note for yourself to thank everyone who made you feel better! Better to write them as reminders as the antibiotics are sure to ruin your memory! ;)

Its now your turn to tell me how you manage your day when you're sick. Who pitches in often to share the workload?





Images: Google

No comments:

Post a Comment